Consumer Credit: FCA Deadline & Do I Need Permissions?

Firms that currently hold a consumer credit licence (CCL) issued by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) who wish to continue to provide consumer credit advice and/or facilities from 1 April 2014, must apply for interim FCA permissions. The deadline for applying for interim permissions is this Monday 31 March. Further information can be found here.

The FCA has recently issued Policy Statement PS14_03 which contains the detailed FCA rules that will apply. You can find this document here.

This also includes (on pages 250 – 266 in Appendix 2) what the FCA refer to as ‘perimeter guidance’. This helps to clarify whether or not firms are providing ‘debt counselling’ as part of their advisory process; if they are, then consumer credit permissions will be required. Please note that investment firms that do not provide mortgage advice cannot simply assume that they aren’t caught by the consumer credit rules. Please look carefully at the examples in PERG 17.7.


Important Note: ATEB news is intended to provide general information ONLY. The content, including any views expressed or guidance provided, does not replace the need to comply fully with FCA Rules and Guidance. Unless you have discussed news article content with ATEB, and specifically how it relates to your circumstances, then ATEB disclaims all liability and responsibility and actions arising from any reliance placed upon it. For the avoidance of doubt therefore, any reliance you place on such information without our consultation is at your own risk.

ATEB Compliance offers compliance and regulatory advice.

ATEB Suitability provides report writing software for the financial services market.

Our View

The deadline for full transition to the Financial Conduct Authority is nearly upon us. The rules and guidance are not straightforward, so to be trading legally you need to understand the scope and parameters within which you can operate, either with or without consumer credit permissions.

Action Required By You

Check to see if your firm needs a Consumer Credit Licence. Read PERG carefully.

If you are an existing CCL licence holder and will require permissions going forward, ensure that you have applied for interim permissions by 31 March.

ATEB clients should discuss with their consultant.

SUIT - Beautiful Reports
SUIT - Complete Control
SUIT - Comp confidence
previous arrow
next arrow

About the Author

Steve is an ATEB Director and has a deep understanding of all matter regulatory, built up over his 30 years + in the industry. With a training background and a technical brain, he overseas numerous complex projects and client implementation work.

Contact Us

Brought to you by

Explore more articles in this category

Other articles that you might be interested in